Refrigerant 290 (Propane)
CAS №: 74-98-6
EC №: 200-827-9
Synonyms: Propane, Freon 290; R-290; Halon 290; Refrigerant 290.
Molecular formula: C3F8
Propane is a three-carbon alkane, normally a gas, but compressible to a transportable liquid. A by-product of natural gas processing and petroleum refining, it is commonly used as a fuel for engines, oxy-gas torches, barbecues, portable stoves, and residential central heating. Propane is one of a group of liquefied petroleum gases. R290 is the common name for high purity propane (C3H8) suitable also for use in the refrigeration and air conditioning industry. It is also known as CARE® 40. The product typically is at least 99.5% pure with minimal levels of critical impurities including moisture and unsaturated hydrocarbons. This makes it ideal for use in all types of refrigeration systems.
Advantages of R290:
• Zero ozone depletion potential.
• Very low global warming potential (<4).
• High thermodynamic properties leading to high energy efficiency.
• Good compatibility with system components.
• Low charges allowing smaller heat exchangers and piping dimensions.
As a refrigerant, R-290 is efficiency used in:
• commercial and industrial refrigeration,
• chill cabinets,
• vending machines,
• cold storage
• food processing,
• transport refrigeration,
• small and large air conditioning
• chiller systems,
• heat pumps and water heaters.
• Propane is the primary flammable gas in blowtorch for soldering or brazing.
• Propane is used as a feedstock for the production of base petrochemicals in steam cracking.
• Propane is the primary fuel for hot air balloons.
• It is used in semiconductor manufacture to deposit silicon carbide.
• Propane is commonly used in theme parks and in the movie industry as an inexpensive, high-energy fuel for explosions and other special effects.
• Propane is used as a propellant for Paintball and Airsoft guns, relying on the expansion of the gas to fire the projectile. It does not ignite the gas. The use of a liquefied gas gives more shots per cylinder, compared to a compressed gas.
• Propane is used as a propellant for household air freshener sprays.
|Liquid density, 250C||g/cm3||0.493|
|Specific heat capacity||J/K*mol||73.60|
|Solubility in water||Mg/l||40|
|Purity, %||≥ 97.5|
|Moisture, ppm||≤ 10|
• steel cylinder 5 kg,
• steel container 926 l,
• ISO tank.